Monday, February 20, 2012

Max Angus on Mildura

While in Tassie I was given a book, Max Angus 40 years of Painting.  (published in 1979)  Tasmanians at least will know Max and his art, mainly landscape water colours and drawings.  A quote from page 10  "In September 1946 I staged my first one-man exhibition at Sedon Galleries in Melbourne. The art critic of the Sun News Pictorial wrote 'Max Angus is a master of the medium. He has a serene and delicate style. . .' I returned to Hobart assured it seemed of a successful career. The following year I was invited to show in Mildura. A high school teacher had seen my exhibition in Melbourne. Tremendous publicity, a four column newspaper review complete with photographs, did not stave off disaster. The Mayor, a quiet dignified man, who opened the exhibition spoke to an audience of three people. I was, I believe ten or fifteen years too early. There was no public gallery that I remember, but one of the clubs boasted the longest drinking bar in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment