Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I would like to get out of third year of my Visual Arts Degree

Overall, by the end of the year I would like to think I was in a position to consistently have my art works accepted as suitable for sale from reputable selling locations...not necessarily merely galleries as such but places from where people buy art.
  • It would be good if during the year there were some painting workshops like I was expecting last year but which never did, but I suspect they will not eventuate this year either.
  • I do sort of realise that my ability to draw/paint "things" is not  enough and I need to add a heightened level of interpretation into my works, particularly my painting, I am quite happy for my drawing to continue to be essentially me being a draftsman.
  • How to present works for exhibition and sale is something I hope is gone into in some depth. It seems me that creating a work is in so many ways the easy bit...how to turn it into something that a person or people may want to and can live with... matts, glass, frames, hanging, where, for how long etc are other important issues which I really need to learn properly...it is time for me to move on from Cheap as Chips, Chicken Feed frames, even if they will continue to have a role for my commissioned dogs, motorbikes, houses etc.
  • A greater understanding of producing series of works based on a theme...what is required thematically for an "exhibition", how many is enough? And what does that mean for "one off" inspirations?
  • Size is still an issue with which  I have not really come to grips.  Even though I have been persuaded to do larger works, not really large but larger than I would usually  do, I suspect I am still seeing my art in terms of lounge rooms. 
  • Use of technology for painters  perhaps as opposed to photographers, for printing, selling on the internet, etc 
  • A probable move to Tassie at the end of the year is in some ways an underlying issue which I do see as relevant to  how I approach this year.
There are probably other things that will be added to this, but that will do for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment