Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lake Mungo and what it means to me

www.abc.net.au/rn/legacy/programs/atoday/stories/s220909.htm An ABC Arts Today programme from 2000 about an exhibition at the Goulburn Regional Art Gallery with 11 artists Lake Mungo Revistied


http://newcatalogue.library.unisa.edu.au/vufind/Record/283838  other references to Mungo art 


Lake Mungo I suspect is an important element in how I at least and I hope most thinking artists in Sunraysia interpret this environment...whenever I am in our dunes, billabong, rivers there is always something about people being here for so long, at least 60,000 years for those who may not be aware of Mungo's history, that makes it a bit special.

While I may not have a personal connection to the local indigenous people, and probably are still (and probably will always be) annoyed at the theft of my replaceable Ha Chao swords I do regard it as one of those places on the planet, perhaps like the East Africa Rift Valley that makes all of us connect


(No the italic won't switch off)


I had expected there would be more easier references to Mungo based art, will keep exploring the internet etc for more....while it is not a direct part of my first semester projects I am trying to work out how I can make it a significant part of this years work. Of course the coming of the water may make actually getting to Mungo a bit more difficult. Be quite interesting if the Lachlan Flood water has a direct influence on the Wilandfa Lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment